Wednesday 31 July 2013

Bin go

Since the end of May I have been working for a vehicle rental company called Flash Vehicle Rentals.  It has been an interesting time and I have learnt more about Toyota vehicle parts than I ever thought I could.  This, and a strange memory for the registration numbers of the vehicles, so much so that if I see one around town I will recognise it as a Flash Vehicle before I spot the sticker on the back.  For more about Flash check out this article from the Economist and their website

There have been many lovely moments working here – the 4pm smoothie is a highlight- but I have grown very fond of Bingo, the compound dog.  In fact he may now be my favourite dog in Freetown.  Who couldn’t love this face?



Bingo didn’t start out as Flash’s compound dog.  He belonged to the previous occupants and when they vacated they took him with them.  Three days later, however, Bingo appeared at the gate.  A call was made – “you left your dog”, “no, came the reply, he came with us but has been missing for the last three days”. Bingo had not taken to his new home in East Freetown and had miraculously made his way safely back to Congo Cross.  Believe me this is not an easy journey.

So in Krio – I bin go an I don kam back.  He went and he returned.

He is a lovely dog but has some unusual traits – when you stroke him he growls at you and stares intently.  I found this a trifle disconcerting to begin with as I thought he wasn’t being friendly but no this is his “I like you” sound.  Even more unnerving is that if you stop he jumps up on his hind legs  to hug you and won’t go down.  I’ve discovered the best way to extricate myself from this is to do a wee dance to tire out his back legs so he goes down of his own accord.  We make quite a couple (I wore my new favourite Africana dress especially).



                                           
Don't leave me!









No comments:

Post a Comment