Thursday 10 May 2012

A Salone Wedding

Wednesday 18th April 2012 – Brima Davowah weds Baby Hannah Conteh.
The invitation outlined the whole day’s events which started with a ceremony at a local mosque.  I was not invited to that part but only the reception in the evening.  The invite stated a start time of 7.00pm but I was soon informed that there was no point in arriving until after 8pm.  I was given a lift by Mr Bangura, with whom I share an office, who picked me up at 8.15pm.  As we approached the venue he asked me if I had my invitation – “no” I said.  Wrong answer!  When we arrived I saw why.  There were two burly security guards on the door demanding to see invitations before you could be let in.  This despite the fact I was wearing the same fabric as 50% of the people there.  Luckily Mr Bangura explained my ignorance and I was allowed to enter the hall.  It was thronging with people with tables set up towards the top table and rows of chairs at the back.  We were ushered to a table very close to the front so I was in a prime position for what was to come.
We sat down and awaited the arrival of the happy couple.  At 9.00pm they arrived resplendent in matching outfits.  Once they were seated the speeches started.  As is often the case in Sierra Leone the events began with a prayer and blessing.  The first speech was the introduction of the chairman/master of ceremonies.  To say this was comprehensive is an understatement as we were talked through his life from birth, schools, further education and jobs, including that as stand up comedian.  Once introduced his role was to keep all the speeches on track while entertaining the crowd with his act.  All of this in Krio, so I often got the gist but missed out on the details. 
It must be said that no-one here was scared of standing up to make a speech.  Once on a roll the chairman had to make quite an effort to curtail them.  The cake was blessed before it was cut and as this was a Muslim/Christian wedding this was done for both faiths.  Here are the happy couple cutting the cake.  There was a difference in tradition here from the UK as the best man and bridesmaid also cut the cake. 

The Bride and Groom

Apart from the speeches there were a number of musical interludes as we were entertained by a juggler/fire eater, a drag artist, a duo doing a mime to “There’s a Hole in my Bucket” and a Michel Jackson tribute act of dancers.  All very entertaining. 

There's a Hole in my Bucket

Liza
Next it was on to food from an enormous buffet and sparkling wine for the toasts.  While the food was being served – it seemed the line was never ending – the music started and I joined some ladies from the office to dance.  As I stood up I could feel many eyes upon me all with the question “Kan de whet gayl dance?”  Well I think I surprised them if the reaction in the office the next morning was anything to go by.  I was the talk of the corridor and more than one person told me that they’d heard I was showing off my moves.  Here we all are in our Asheobi before I headed home to bed at midnight – well it was a school night.

Bishola

Fatmatta

Enjoying the party

All in all a wonderful experience and I was very grateful to have been invited to share the happy occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment