Friday 27 July 2012

Planning......

Not sure what happened but this appears to have been unposted - I'll try again.

All of you know that I love a good plan and that I am never happier than when making schedules and lists.  You can, therefore, imagine that with two weeks to go to my trip home I am like a pig in the proverbial.  I have a word document which has a number of pages: 1. for my whereabouts morning, afternoon, evening and sleeping, 2. my packing list for going to UK , 3. my shopping list for coming back to Salone (it is growing as items pop up all the time – just added risotto rice).  At the moment I am contemplating a new list of places/ restaurants I want to go to and food I must have – broccoli is very high up that list!
However, in my four months here there has been a slight change in my thinking as my new planning horizon is much shorter – you may say non-existent.  Here I will often be sitting on a Wednesday morning with no plans for the weekend but by the end of the day be left with many choices.  This week was an example when no sooner had I arranged a trip to Bo for this weekend than I had an invitation to dinner on Saturday night and then an invitation to spend Saturday night at the beach.  Wow!
This also happens on a far more micro level as on Monday at 5pm I was walking home thinking of the quiet (much needed) night in ahead.  “Beep Beep” – text from Carole suggesting a walk at 6ish and then “Beep Beep” a text from Cathrin inviting me to the inaugural Craft Club meeting with dinner thrown in at 7.30pm.  Of course I managed to do both.  This would never have happened in London as my days were managed and planned to within an inch of their life! 
Despite railing against this in the beginning  I now feel oddly calm about life and less worried that I have nothing planned and may have empty days to fill.  Now I am totally unconcerned if no firm plans are in place hours before doing something  as I know it will all come out right in the end – it is what it is and what it is meant to be.
Who’d have thought it Lynne with an empty diary and happy about it!


An afterthought – that all said I’m planning to book tickets for the Michael Grandage Company show Peter and Alice (Dame Judi and Ben Wishaw) for next May.  Google it – it sounds awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment