Wednesday 1 August 2012

Four months in and some further insights


I’ve decided to mark each second month with a list of new experiences and insights that I’ve made as my time progresses.

1.       You realise when you feel you have learnt lots that there is so much more you don’t know – the Johari Window effect that Donald Rumsfeld described very confusingly once.
2.       Drains only act as way to create rivers and huge lakes that cars speed through so if you happen to be in the wrong place and the wrong time you are soaked from head to toe – I was one day – UGH!!!
3.       My street may have washed away by the time I return at the end of August.
4.       Aubergine and cabbage are more versatile than you would think but enough already!
5.       While walking around Freetown (which I do often) bumping into, being beeped at by, waved at by, shouted after by or chased down the street by, someone you know is a lovely feeling.
6.       You never know what the girls in the office will have done to their hair over the weekend as of course you can have a completely new hairstyle every week.
7.       Religious tolerance abounds here – God Bless Islam as the slogan on the poda poda says

This morning on Main Motor Road
8.       My new found skill of opening plastic water packets with my teeth and sitting them on the work surface without them falling over
9.       If you go to Makeni you have to buy pots – lots of pots and strange creatures
My collection, so far ....

10.   Krio takes patience and practice – I need more practice – small small
Finally, I don’t have a pair of ruby slippers – I’m depending on the BMI flight to take me home tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment