Sunday 1 April 2012

Aw yu slip?

This is a question I hear every morning from going to breakfast at the hotel and arriving at work.  The language? Krio.  I mentioned earlier that I had lessons as part of the ICT.  So what is the question?  Well, knowing that “i” is pronounced as “ee” will allow you to realise that I am being asked “How did you sleep?”  At first I thought this was the receptionist asking a polite question.  Now I know it is a vital way to start the day.  My response varies between “well” and “gud” (good).  If you have a bad night the answer is “smol, smol”.  Luckily I have not had to employ this yet.

So what is Krio? According to my text book “Krio in a nut shell. Volume 1” Krio can be traced back more than 300 years when coastal West Africans were first in close contact with English-speaking sailors and traders.  It is a creole, or hybrid language, that combines elements of vocabulary and structure from English and a number of indigenous West African languages.  At first it sounds like a broken English but there is a grammatical structure which has to be followed making it more complicated than I originally expected.  My colleagues in the Ministry are helping by teaching me a new phrase every day.  So what have I learnt so far?
Wetin na u nem?             What is your name?

Mi nem na Lynne            My name is Lynne

Aw di bodi?                     How are you?

Di bodi well.                    I’m fine

At the Ministry I am sharing an office with the senior accountant.  He is constantly in demand with a stream of visitors.  Often he is out so I have developed a set routine.

Usay Mr B?                        Where is Mr B?
The replies are any of these:

I don com                            He has arrived (He’s in the office)

I com ot                               He has gone out (He’s away from his desk)

I don go                               He’s gone for the day

On Friday people wear African dress to work.  As a first step to me taking part in this the Director of Finance’s two secretaries have rechristened me with a Sierra Leonean name.  So from now on
Mi nem na Mabinty McKenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment