Friday 13 April 2012

Handbags and Glad Rags (part one)

In the UK my handbag was, often as not, filled with superfluous items carried on a ‘just in case’ basis.  Here it is very different as each item is essential and must be carried in the most compact bag possible to deter pickpockets and thieves.

 So what’s in my handbag these days? (my nice compact navy Mulberry one – perhaps not the most obvious choice in the developing world but a girl has to maintain some standards).

·         Money in three different places: small change for taxis and podas in front pocket, purse in main section and zip lock bag in the back zipped section.

·         Mobile phone – my lifeline at all times

·         House keys - vital

·         Hand Sanitizer – after you have touched the money it’s a must

·         Tissue/Toilet Roll – not always available

·         Mosquito repellent – always need to be ready for the little buggers

·         Hand wipes – not always water in toilets

·         Pencil case (for work with USB stick and office key)

·         Sunglasses

·         Head torch – it’s dark by 7.30pm every night with a minimal amount of street lighting

·         Doxycycline - in case I forget my morning dose

·         VSO ID – important if I want to use UN pool

·         Small extra torch – in case batteries on head torch go (thank you Maureen!)


Additionally in the day I always carry my water bottle. We are currently in the dry season with the temperature being pretty constant between 27oC and 30oC with levels of humidity at 75 - 80%.  It is hot and steamy!   If I could I would carry a towel to mop my dripping brow as I melt as I walk anywhere.  I never realised it was possible to sweat so much.  I am constantly enveloped in a fine layer so truly sweating not delicately glowing.  Unfortunately, I also have to carry a laptop to work along with power cable and a surge protector.  Luckily it is a relatively short walk to and from work so I can always drop it home before heading out anywhere.

Home? you ask, where is that?  All will be revealed in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment