Wednesday 6 June 2012

A Salone Diamond Jubilee


There is a tourism advert that runs on the Sierra Leone Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC) which I hear often during the day.  The tag line is “Sierra Leone, The Beautiful Diamond of Africa”.  It, therefore, seemed apt in a way to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee here in Freetown.  No flotilla of boats for me to watch from my office window at Millbank – as ever when something exciting happens on the river I miss it – but there was lots of Union Jack bunting to admire at Howard’s house on Saturday night.

The dress code for the party was red, white and blue or national dress and every one made great efforts with amazing combinations of shirts, shorts, shoes, dresses etc.  One guest went to particularly special efforts at the tailor.

if you were wondering what to do with your Union Jack...


There was some nifty tying of scarves as the 1950s were evoked in a Hilda Ogden kind of way.  No cucumber sandwiches but the cucumber and mint was put to good use in Pimms which had been transported especially from the UK.  A little bit of Britain in Freetown.

The music had a UK feel until the Cubans arrived and we moved on impromptu salsa lessons which livened up proceedings no end.  All those Thursdays down at Atlantic appear to be paying off.  Here are I am with Carolyn, a fellow Scot, who dances wonderfully and has some improving pupils -not sure I’m among them but what I may lack in technique I make up for with enthusiasm.


You can't see it but I am wearing a red hairband

No comments:

Post a Comment