Thursday 28 June 2012

Same but Different (part three)


Shopping
Here as in the UK I have to shop – and as I women you know we HAVE to shop. It’s not called retail therapy for nothing. So how does the different type of shopping work here?

Groceries
No Waitrose here but plenty of supermarkets.  They are run predominantly by the Lebanese community and some Indians.  On a VSO stipend the first time you visit a supermarket is overwhelming as the prices seem so high. My first shock was the Le 30,000(£4.50) small box of cereal.  For the first time in ages I had to add up what I was buying as I went around to ensure I had enough money with me.  This has become easier as the weeks have gone by as I’ve learned which supermarkets are the cheapest for certain items.  No more one stop shop at Waitrose.  Now it’s cleaning products in Freetown Direct, general food items in Monoprix, cards at St Mary’s and changing money at Essentials.

In the beginning the other part about supermarket shopping I found challenging was that I could never find exactly what I wanted and was often are uninspired by the selection.  I have now managed to realise that there is lots you can do with the Lebanese and Indian ingredients on offer so lots of dal opportunities.  I have been down loading recipes to make with the staples on offer here – on that note aubergine any one?

Fruit and Vegetables

At home I was a loyal Abel and Cole veggie box customer and would you believe it I have a veg box here or rather veg plastic bag.  Each Friday for Le30,000 the Mountain Farmers Association delivers a bag of vegetables to my desk – now that is service.  Not the variation from Able and Cole but the certainty that I will eat vegetables in the week.  This is hard here – it is easy to eat out and never see a vegetable.  So what’s in the bag? Cabbage, aubergine, cucumber, tomatoes, radish, carrots, green beans, lettuce, spring  onions, mint and parsley.  Needless to say I now have a range of recipes incorporating these items.

If I run out I have to negotiate with the ladies selling veg at the side of the road.  Somedays I can’t be bothered haggling but others I will drive a hard bargain for my pineapple and guinea mangoes.  I have discovered that asking for an extra one is easier than negotiating down the price of individual items.  At the moment there are some lovely peppers so ratatouille is a favourite dish.

Next time how to buy shoes and clothes...

No comments:

Post a Comment