Wednesday 3 October 2012

Acronyms – you can never have too many...


Well not in this country!

At work I am constantly falling over acronyms as they appear to be the cement that binds the building blocks of development together – I mean NGO, INGO it starts there.   I suppose the most obvious ones are the UN Family, as my boss calls them, UNDP and UNFPA being two.  We have UK funding through DfID and more obviously from the US USAid. 

People are not immune from this shortening either.  It must be said it did take me a while to work out who this H.E. was that kept coming up in meetings.  His Excellency the President – oh a light bulb went on. At work I am constantly battling against my boss being referred to as the PA (Principal Accountant) as he is officially now the DFR (Director of Financial Resources).

Groups of people are then known by them too.  Who’s that you’ll ask and often a response may be that he’s an AGI or an ODI, or a VSO.  There is one group that seem to have missed out on this and that will be - oh he/she’s Craig Bellamy.  Not sure how that happened.

However, they are sneaking into my life outside work too.  So in my diary you’ll find I regularly run at AWC (Aberdeen Women’s Centre) and have been to a couple of Hog roasts at BHC (British High Commission).   When the power goes the cry is "No NPA".

The funniest one for me is that people become initials – Dr ABC, ABK, SAS on it goes.  It even affects me as one of my colleagues calls me MBT as a shortening of Mabinty.

 So TTFN...

No comments:

Post a Comment