Tuesday 20 November 2012

VSO’s Seven Dimensions in action


When I embarked on my VSO journey I had to go through the assessment process where VSO judges whether you meet the Seven Dimensions that they feel are essential for any volunteer.  The other day these came to mind and I thought I would map these against my experience in Sierra Leone so far.

Positive and realistic commitment
“Keep your expectations low” has been a piece of advice I have received often since I arrived in Sierra Leone.  It is so true –I am constantly pleasantly surprised when people reply to emails or provide information I request.

Commitment to learning
I came to my job in the Ministry never having worked in the public sector, worked in Health, worked in a development context and not having done a pure management accounting role for about 20 years.  The learning curve has been steep and challenging.

Practical problem solving ability
I envisaged this originally to be work related but each day life throws up problems to be solved: what to do with another aubergine? How to get to Makeni without your own car?How to make the contents of the water butt last as long as possible? What is the most efficient way of bucket showering? Who can I visit to use their shower?  Being a VSO makes you very resourceful.

Self assurance
Crossing roads requires an amazing amount of self assurance as you hope the okada or taxi does not suddenly increase its speed.  I am also developing a greatdegree of self assurance when it comes to asking for lifts – home from a night out, to the beach or to go up country.

Flexibility and adaptability
No electricity, no water, limited internet access, public transport, traffic, shopping, limited variety of food.  All these are things and many more have challenged my flexibility and adaptability many times.

Working with others
I am working not only with my colleagues at the Ministry but also Health Finance Officers from the districts, NGOs and VSO.  These interactions may be for capacity building, co-ordination, producing papers, discussing ways forward on issues.  In most I find I am learning so much as I know so little about the health sector.

Sensitivity to the needs of others
Being aware of the cultural differences between myself and Sierra Leoneans has been a huge issue for me.  At times I find myself becoming very frustrated and have to constantly remind myself that I am the visitor to this culture and my cultural norms may not be appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment