Tuesday 13 November 2012

The VSO effect


There are times when you are a VSO volunteer that you focus on your own experience in the present day forgetting about the history of the organisation and those who have gone before you.

On Friday I found myself feeling proud to be part of this organisation which has been working in Sierra Leone for many years.  What brought this on?  A chat with my colleague Mr Sahr Henry Ensah who was taught by VSO teachers in the northern town of Kailahun.  The memory of those teachers fills him with great happiness and his face lit up as he sang the song Mr Beechy used to sing when the class became restless:

My name is Mr Beechy
My wife is Mrs Beechy
My son is Peter Beechy
And we come from London

He was a member of the Boys Brigade which was formed by Mr McCaw and is still involved with the Boys Brigade to this day.

My new mission is to see if I can find Mr Beachy as I would love to be able to reunite this teacher and pupil.

No comments:

Post a Comment