Thursday 10 January 2013

How to use a 46kg luggage allowance?


When I tell people that the luggage allowance to come to Sierra Leone is 46kg there are many surprised looks.   The first time I heard this piece of information I was very happy as when you are moving countries the larger the allowance the better – the practicalities of carrying that weight plus hand luggage was a mere detail.

So for my first trip I maxed out with two bags weighing of 23kg each full with extension leads, surge protectors, spare leads for computer, wind up radio, solar charger, sharp knives, tin opener, bottle opener, grater, vegetable peeler, Tupperware boxes, vacuum packed pillow, bedding, clothes, shoes, supplements, toiletries, first aid kit and other essential bits and pieces.

I thought this was all stuff that would be taken out once so it would be hard to use the full allowance again – wrong! In August I brought back more summer clothes (bad timing with sales), speakers, food flask , more Tupperware, toiletries, supplements and food.  Oh yes food there are so many things you can’t get here or are so expensive.

This visit it was predominantly food – two bottles of wine, jars of harrisa paste, curry paste, risotto rice, parmesan, pecorino, haggis, neeps, tea bags, biscuits, snack bars, oatcakes ..... oh the list goes on.  And you know what I only used 34kg – the waste! 

Already I am thinking of the items I could have popped in – broccoli, celery, raspberries, blueberries, pesto, breakfast cereal.   Oh well next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment