Monday 14 January 2013

Experimenting with Aubergine


In my last post I mentioned the food that I have brought back in my luggage.  Indeed, a big challenge I have faced in Sierra Leone is cooking.   There is a lack of variety in the food available.  In particular, I find the lack of variety in vegetables frustrating.  Every week I have a bag of vegetables delivered.  Unlike with my Able and Cole box in the UK there is no anticipation around what I shall find.  It is always the same:

White cabbage
Carrots
Green Beans
Cucumber
Tomatoes
Aubergine
White radish
Lettuce
Spring Onions
Mint
Parsley

If I go to the market I can, depending on the season, add the following to the list:

Irish potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Onions
Pumpkin/squash
Courgette (it’s not really the same)
Green peppers
Chillis
Garlic
Ginger

Looking at the lists it seems a fair variety but it’s not!  I struggle to find new ways to cook aubergines (hence the post title)and cabbage.  Luckily I have access to the internet and so Abel and Cole’s website which has been a godsend for ideas.  Ideas, as with aubergine,where  I often run into the same problem. The first words of the recipe are “preheat the oven to 200 degrees” but i don’t have an oven I only have two gas rings! 

That all said I do seem to have developed a signature dish – caponata (Sicilian aubergine stew).  Only issue is that it requires harrisa paste but no problem currently as three jars found their way into my luggage.

So if you come to visit you know what to expect as your first meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment