Wednesday 20 February 2013

Rogbonko Village Retreat


A couple of weekends ago Thea, Nargis and I headed for the peace and tranquillity of Rogbonko Village Retreat.

This is a lovely spot built on the edge of Rogbonko Mathaka village.  This village is in the northern province of Tonkilili and not very far from my new work base of Magburaka.  And after the weekend there it will definitely be on any itinerary I pull together for friends.

Here is a link to their website

It is about a 4 hour drive from Freetown and many thanks to Thea for doing all the driving.  We stopped in Makeni for lunch and arrived at Rogbonko around 4pm.


Main Street Rogbonko Mathaka

 I was exhausted and flopped down on my bed in the lovely cabin.  Well that was me – in a cool dark room I slept and slept.  I woke around 3am to enjoy the complete darkness and silence!  Amazing.

Fully rested, the next morning we had a local breakfast of eggs, sweet potato and onion sauce.  This prepared us for a walk through the village and cashew plantation.  We arrived at the river which was a hive of activity as people from two villages gathered to do their washing.
Wash Day



Part of the walk was a ride in a dug out canoe but we had a problem.  It had sunk.  So “White Boy” waded in to locate it and bring it out for us to use.

Our boat

 We were a trifle concerned but squatting in the middle of the boat we made it to the other side to see the sugar cane.

A wonderfully restful and recuperative weekend.
View from Sugar Plantation

No comments:

Post a Comment