Monday 6 May 2013

My good luck had to run out...

In the past 15 months I have been very proud of the fact that I have kept remarkably good health here in Sierra Leone.  However, on Friday I discovered what it is to be struck down with a Freetown Tummy.  It was not pleasant.

I'm not sure if my luck ran out or I have become more complacent.  Bottles of hand sanitiser are definitely lasting longer and I have started boiling tap water for my morning cup of tea.  No longer I am back to packet water in the kettle from now on.

I have not become lax with my daily handful of tablets:

1 anti-malarial (I use doxycycline which I have not had any problems)
1 probiotic (to counter the anti biotic qualities of doxy)
1 women's multi vitamin
1 oregano tablet (prophylaxis for gastric issues)

So what do I think could have been the culprit?  Well I had chicken at a bar on Monday night and I wasn't quite right all week.  I think though that an Indian meal on Thursday night may have been the source of my woes.  Luckily it really was only 24 hours of inconvenience. Confined to the house I kept drinking water to flush through my system and topped that up with Oral Rehydration Salts (something I actually carry in my handbag) to replace what was being lost oh so rapidly.

So Friday - death warmed up, Saturday back to my usual self and running around Freetown enjoying that feeling of wellness.

Here's hoping it's another 15 months until I have to deal with that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment