Wednesday 18 September 2013

Theatre, Theatre and a bit more theatre

As many of you know theatre is a passion of mine and a trip home offers the opportunity to stock up on theatre experiences to see me through to Christmas.  I try very hard not to overdo it and tire myself out but invariably that goes awry.  So in the last 5 weeks I will have seen 10 shows.  I'm currently at 9 with the last one tomorrow.  So what have I seen, and what did I think?  I'm going to try to capture this in a word or phrase per show

A Season in the Congo, Young Vic - wonderful fusion of acting, music and movement
A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, National - one big lighting effect
A Strange Interlude, National - the time flew in the company of an accomplished cast
Handel Furioso, Grimeborne at Arcola - Mama Mia with the music of Handel
The Same Deep Water as Me, Donmar - Nick Payne, you can write! (loved Greggs references)
Home, The Shed at National - surprised and delighted me
Othello, National - the finest Iago I have seen
A Midsummer Night's Dream, Globe - disappointing
Chimerica, Almeida - I didn't get what all the fuss was about - predictable and over rated (for me)
The Herd, The Bush .... (I'll get back to you after I've seen this)

So my highlight? - Home.  Amazing and I ovated!  I never ovate.  It was that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment