Saturday 28 September 2013

Back to a rainy Freetown.. but I was number one!

I was hoping that by taking such a long break - a luxurious five and a half weeks - I would have missed the rain and returned to glorious sunshine.  Alas this has not been the case as it has rained every day since I cam back on Tuesday.  Not the ferocious downpours of early August but pretty long showers that create puddles as obstacles to walking anywhere.

Currently, it is changing in November, the BA flight lands at 4am!  This makes the journey extra exhausting.  You take off at 10.30pm, try to have some sleep before you are woken at 3.30am with a cheese sandwich! You have to wake up pretty quickly to go through immigration, baggage reclaim and the water taxi from Lungi to Aberdeen.

I had the most amazing luck this trip.  First through immigration, my bags came off so quickly that I had ticket NO.1  for the water taxi.  It is always heartening to have a low number as it means you are on the first boat.  This did not used to guarantee a swift departure from Aberdeen to home as your luggage may be in the boat behind you.  However, it appears that a new system is in operation whereby the bags go first.  This means a longer wait on Lungi side but it is great to be able to walk oft the boat and pick up luggage.

Barry,my regular taxi driver, was waiting for me at 6.30am and I arrived at my new accommodation before 7am.  New accommodatoin?  Oh yes I've moved again but more of that in my next post.

So situation?  I'm back in Freetown with a return ticket for 20 December so let's see what the next 12 weeks brings.


1 comment:

  1. Dear Lynne, how do I go about getting your permission to use one of your pictures of the Youyi building in Freetown for an article I am writing? Is there a way for us to communicate privately, via email?

    ReplyDelete