Sunday 10 November 2013

Ants in your pants...

The other Sunday I set off with Heather and Hayley to climb Sugar Loaf Mountain, which at 760m is among the highest points on the Peninsula.   We were not brave enough to try this alone so were joined by Jacob who has climbed this mountain many times.  I'm not sure he was quite ready for what followed.

The intrepid walkers

I, it must be said, have never been the most confident of walkers when it comes to climbing over things and going down very steep slopes. So it was not a happy Lynne that had to climb up over two fallen down trees.  It wasn't that far off the ground but for me it could have been the top of the Empire State Building. Even though I was being held very securely I had this terrible feeling of falling.  Not one of my finest moments.  But worse was to come.

We had to clamber up over lots or rocks which were wet which made them slippery  In the dry patches there was lots of grip but not much moisture and you could lose your footing. This meant that often my hands were on the ground too in an odd crawling motion to give a feeling of security.  This was fine until the section with ants.

Not friendly ants, oh no, these are the biting variety that once they see an opening are in your sock, up you trousers and stuck fast to your fingers.  All of the above happened to me at one point,  It was so bad that my boots and socks had to come off and then my trousers.  The little buggers were up my trousers and biting so it was the only way to rid myself of them.  Jacob was a trooper as he didn't bat an eyelid as I walked up one short section in my bare feet and pants.  Heather and Hayley also had ant issues so we were all standing on the side of the mountain with our trousers down at one point.  All very funny looking back but very unpleasant at the time.

We made it to the top were we took in the views before starting on our way down.

Heather took this beautiful picture from the top

Views of the Peninsula Mountains


Leicester Peak

 We coped far better on the down which was just as well as I'm not sure my nerves could have taken any more excitement.  Four hours one Sunday not to be forgotten and followed by a well deserved afternoon at the beach.

Much happier now the ants have gone

No comments:

Post a Comment