Sunday 17 November 2013

The Congo Cross Mystery

Congo Cross is the area of Freetown which I call home.  In my time here I have always lived somewhere in the five minute radius of Congo Cross Roundabout or Turntable as it is called here.  It's a great area of town to live as it is easy to go downtown or West to the beaches.

 This weekend marks one year since the elections which re-elected Ernest Bai Koroma as President of Sierra Leone.  In that year the election poster of the opposition candidate, Julius Maada Bio,  has remained on the Congo Cross Roundabout and I felt certain it may remain there until the 2017 elections.  Here are photos I took last weekend where the poster takes pride of place.



So you can imagine my surprise on Friday when the poster disappeared.  Even more intriguingly it has been replaced by a statue wrapped in plastic.  Not only this, the roundabout has also been painted and potted plants added.

So the mystery?  Who will be revealed when the plastic is removed and when will this happen?  I'll let you know when it all becomes clear.  In the meantime here are a couple of pics from today.

The plastic wrapped statue

All spruced up in Salone national colours

No comments:

Post a Comment