Saturday 15 December 2012

O positive? We'll have some of that

Last Monday the time came to do something I have always felt guilty about not having done sooner - give blood.

I had promised Carolyn that I would donate a pint to Aberdeen Women's Centre before she leaves in mid December. So, on 3rd December I built up the courage and made my way to the lab.

Some of you may wonder why this warrants a blog entry while some others will be amazed that I have actually done this given my history with needles.  It is not a good history and there have been many moments of hysteria in dentist and doctor's surgeries.  

Off I went into the lab and had the first of two needles stuck in me.  The first was in my hand to draw a small amount to test.  They tested for my blood group (o+) and various communicable diseases (HIV, Syphillis, Hep A and Hep B).  After a 20 minute wait I was given the all clear and the serious business could begin.  In fact I was given a gold star as my Hb count was 16 - very good so I'm told.

While Carolyn chatted away to me as a distraction  Musu did a wonderful job of making the whole experience relatively pain free.  I winced a bit as the needle went in but as I pumped my had the blood flowed quickly and it was all over in 10 minutes.

Here is the photographic proof

Finding a vein

All over and still smiling

In the white try between his arms is my blood.
So everyone out there - if I can do this surely everybody can.

No comments:

Post a Comment