Friday 28 December 2012

A Boxing Day Tradition

Hello from a rainy Scotland.

Last Friday I left Freetown for a two week Christmas break in the UK.  I flew up to Scotland on Christmas Eve for Christmas in a flooded Stonehaven with my parents.

Over the last ten years a tradition has developed whereby I spend Boxing Day with my friend Susan and her family if I am in the country which I was this year.  So, on Christmas Night my dad gave me a lift to Edzell to join the Leonard/Marwood/Cranswick celebrations.  A glass of prosecco in hand,  it was lovely to catch up with everyone and their ever growing children.  There is no way to escape the passing years when they take the form of a child - can Andrew really be a teenager and Kate starting senior school in 2013?

After a good night's sleep we headed out into the Angus countryside for a walk up the Sturdy Hill.  It was a bracing day but it was lovely to be among the hills and take in the beautiful views.

An Angus Glen

Susan, Ruth, Donald, Pat and Richard

Back to the house and a lovely lunch of all the things I have missed - oatcakes, leek and potato soup, lovely bread and smoked salmon.  All this topped off with a game of charades - my Bourne Identity may live in the memory for many Boxing Day's to come.

Thank you to all who allowed me to share their Boxing Day and here's hoping the tradition carries on for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment