Tuesday 18 June 2013

Bye Bye Aoife – another sad goodbye

When I arrived here with VSO I did not arrive alone. I came with 3 others on the same flight from Heathrow that Sunday morning – 15 months ago today.  They were Caroline, Deborah and Aoife.  Caroline and Deborah left last year but Aoife and I have hung around longer.

Today that changed as I am left as the last man standing.  Aoife was placed at a charity run hospital in Makeni where she was in charge of the lab.  She has done an amazing job – so much so that her year placement was extended by 3 months.  She has inspired her lab boys and how I love to hear the tales of life in the lab.

Despite our placements being some distance apart we have managed to become close friends as we started on this rollercoaster at the same time and were there to help each other through the ups and downs.  We have shared many a night on the balcony in Freetown setting the world to rights.

Today though she boarded the BA flight and is on her way back to Ireland.  She has not been home at all in the last 15 months (unlike softy me who has managed 3 trips).  Supermarkets and shops will be a shock – the choices will be overwhelming.  When I saw her off this morning she was looking forward to not sweating any more, a glass of cold white wine and some cheese.  Oh the simple things we take for granted.


All the very best for the future Aoife and I know our paths will cross often in the future.  Happy memories remain of the Sierra Leone marathons, the Olympics Opening Ceremony, days at the beach and nights in Makeni.


No comments:

Post a Comment