Sunday 18 August 2013

Three reasons to be happy to be home...

Theatre, Walking and Wapping

Wapping - On Thursday I had the fun of rising at 5am to be ready at 6am for my taxi to catch the 7am Peilcan to Lungi Airport.  I was on my way home.  The flight left at 10.40am and at 6pm I was landing at Heathrow.  Happy to be in London I'm settled into my usual high quality Wapping accommodation with these great views


Theatre - Friday brought my first theatre trip to see the amazing A Season in the Congo at the Young Vic which made the transition from Africa to London easier for me as it was full of women wearing lappas, music and dancing.  The play tells the story of Patrice Lumumba who was the democratically elected prime minister of Congo when it gained independence from Belgium on 30 June 1960.  By January 1961 Lumumba was dead - shot in very murky circumstances.  The lead role was taken by Chiwetel Eijofor  who delivered a complex and powerful performance.  Here he is on stage.



Walking - Sunday and time fro my walk with the Surrey Strollers.  Gail and John Elrick lead a 20 mile walk in the Surrey countryside.  The walk was circular from Clandon and took in the villages of Westcott and Abinger Hammer and for a part followed the North Downs Way.  The weather was glorious and I am very happy to report that these legs still have 20 + mile walks in them.


Striding through the maize

English pubs do a good window box!

Rolling Surrey countryside

Fields of wheat

No comments:

Post a Comment