Sunday 16 September 2012

A Freetown Friday night - the good…..


Friday is the night when it all happens in Freetown.  The bars and clubs are full as people winding down at the end of the working week.  So Friday is a night for a plan and this Friday I had a night of new experiences – not all of which were welcome.  The plan? Dinner at a Korean BBQ in Aberdeen followed by drinks and some dancing at the newly opened Adeladore Wine Bar – yes a wine bar in Freetown!

It started out as a small group but expanded so that in the end we filled the restaurant. A mix of expats from a diverse range of Freetown based organisations.  Korean BBQ is a communal experience as meat and fish are cooked in a central hotplate with everyone sharing the salads, sauces and lettuce leaves.  A great way to become acquainted with new people and it was a happy bunch that headed off in convoy to Main Motor Road.

Scarily I was in charge of directions but it all went well.  Some of the group were sceptical that anything resembling a wine bar could have opened but they were ready to be shocked and surprised.  It is a super wee place with a bar serving wine by the bottle or glass and beers. Friday night is dancing night and as the night progressed more people took to the floor to our favourite Salone tunes – Chop My Money always figures highly on the list.

About 1.45am time came to leave and arrange the transport  home.  I shared a lift with a couple of others who were heading up my street.  My road is notoriously bad following the rains (and before) so I often ask people to drop me at the top and I walk down.  I never meet a soul and with my guard at the gate I feel safe doing that.  Well I did feel safe as Friday night changed all that.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing !

    This post has made me so happy !

    From myself and my family thank you for visiting Adeladore !

    What was the best thing about it for you?

    Also what is your best memory of Freetown?

    ReplyDelete