Wednesday 12 September 2012

Sound of Silence - not really

-->
On my recent trip back to the UK I was struck by how quiet it was.  “What?” you say “Scotland I can understand but London?” Here is selection of the sounds in my Salone day and you shall see why I was deafened by the silence.
Dogs barking, fighting and squealing – all through the night
Cock crowing from 4am onwards
Sweeping - a national past-time - it’s time to get up when I here Joe sweeping around the building every morning
My gate being opened and closed (a very distinctive sound that I can now pick out among many others) as people come and go
Rain – at the moment there is often the sound of rain on corrugated iron roofs, dripping (or rather gushing) out of overflows, running down street
Scrunch of car wheels on road as they bump down the ever decreasing road surface
Beeping of taxis and okadas as they indicate they have space for a passenger
Shouting of apprentice from podapodas – “PZ, PZ, PZ”
Beeping of people I know as they drive past on my walk to work
Shouting of my name by friend on okada on her way to work
“Good Morning Madam” my daily greeting from Santos on the fourth floor
“Eeeeeeeowwww” exclamation throughout the day as people react what another is telling them something of note
Little girl next door crying
“Patreeek, Patreeek” as the houseboy from upstairs is called upon
The hum of all the neighbourhood generators when the power goes
There are many more but there are a few of the most common.

No comments:

Post a Comment