Monday 17 September 2012

A Freetown Friday Night ..... and the bad


I hopped out of the car, keys and torch in hand, to cross the road after it pulled away.  I was aware of three youths coming towards me which isn’t too unusual as most locals approach you wanting to be your friend.  This was different, they surrounded me pushing me to grab my bag.  I am old enough and ugly enough to realise that possessions are not important so let them take it without putting up a fight.  A last push and I was on the ground watching them run down the road. 

Fight or flight?  No, for me it was freeze as I couldn’t quite grasp what was happening.  I shouted my guard’s name as I pulled myself to my feet to start walking down to the house.  He came up saying he had seen the 3 boys run past.  I thought they may ditch the bag after they’d found the money so walked with him around the two possible routes they may have taken but found nothing.  Reflecting on this I think I just had to do something to try to take control again.  

There is always a positive somewhere and mine was that my house keys were in my hand so I could let myself in.  At the end of the day I was unharmed and safe in my own room, though I must admit there were tears in my eyes.

One of the annoying parts of this incident is that my new London 2012 Team GB umbrella was in the bag – if you see anyone in Freetown using it let me know.  I’m also going to the second hand market to see if I can find a genuine navy Mulberry satchel – I know it will be genuine!

Please don’t worry about me reading this as it was an opportunistic theft and I will always be dropped at my door from now on.  Six months in I became more complacent and pushed your luck. So, lessons to be learnt and confidence to rebuild but you all know me – I’ll be fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment