Tuesday 25 September 2012

Half way there


Today (18 September 2012) marks the half way point in my VSO journey.  I touched down at Lungi on 18 March and a whole new chapter opened up for me.  It’s been a great experience so far with it’s ups and downs but one I would not change for anything.  So what helped me reach this point in such good spirits? Well,  in no particular order.

  1. Sitting on my balcony at the end of the day taking time to reflect on each day’s events
  2. Weekly run/walk on the beach followed by dinner and a hot shower at Aberdeen Women’s Centre – thanks Carolyn, Tommy and Jude
  3. Living by myself for 5 months (that is going to change!)
  4. Sharing the ups and downs with my fellow VSO volunteers who arrived in March – thanks Aofie and Deborah
  5. All the good wishes and love from family and friends at home
  6. Trips to the beach – thanks Ed
  7. A bed in a house with lovely thick mattress, air conditioning and no barking dogs where I can have a blissful night’s sleep – thanks again Ed
  8. My Sierratel Dongle – it’s internet access but not as you know it
  9. Meeting such amazingly welcoming people in Freetown – you know who you are!
  10. Entertaining on the balcony  and seeing how to co-ordinate dinner for 6 using only 2 gas rings and an assortment of crockery, pots and other cooking equipment
  11. My daily supplement and anti-malarial regime – I have been ridiculously healthy, sore toe excepted
  12. Checking  http://freetownfashpack.blogspot.com/everyday to enjoy Jo’s wonderful fashion insights – click on the link, it’s a hoot
  13. Reading my Guardian weekly – especially doing the quick crossword.
  14. Finally, my three week break to UK in August – recharging is good!

So let’s see what the next six months brings.
Footnote:  I wrote this before Friday's events - but it doesn't change the fact that I am thoroughly enjoying this experience.  I am now wiser and will change my behaviour to avoid taking silly risks again.  You live and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment